Monday, June 11, 2007

EXO-Podding




For EXO's, the novelty wears off almost on contact. The luster of the material world is fleeting for most of us, but EXO's draws their support from the objects they use. So a shiny new object is a prized and valued member of that community. But unlike the sentimental PHYLO, who will instill the most obscure object with value because of the significance they assign it, or the possessive ONTO who will leverage the value others assign something to determine what it's worth is to them, an EXO is more utilitarian about what they own, new or old. It's the fickle ECO that will open a birthday or holiday gift with glee, and a few hours later will feel no juice at all from the now digested experience. EXO's like the next-best thing simply because it's next-best thing. So when you see how short and intense product cycles are in technology for software storage, security systems and other more 'staple' stuff like that, it's not a market driven thing, we have a functional idea already.


No, all this new and improved frenzy is the work of EXO's who have jumped from surfing to blogging to texting, to bluetoothing and now to this podding world that the i-phone is advancing. We've gone from dot com to wireless in less than 10 years. What kind of cell phone did you have in 1997? Now we've seen the rapid merging of cable TV, telephone, music, internet, and entertainment. Combine all that with GPS navigation and cameras and we have created the ultimate cultural Swiss Army knife. So who goes first when this thing debuts later this month for ~$600 or so? It'll be the EXO's, closely followed by the joyrushed ECO's, who will blab to the social mirroring PHYLO's, who will then pay the ONTO's to get it off eBay by Christmas time, just about when the 'upgraded version' hits the street.


Riff on This! and we'll talk about WED here...
Host Channel:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/nakedsoma
Dial In Number: (646) 478-4847
ShowTime: WED 8-9pm EDT
Show Blog:
http://www.nakedsoma.blogspot.com/


If you can't wait to be an i-Phone hater, take a look at the flaws people are predicting it'll have:


What Will Suck about the i-Phone?
http://letters.salon.com/tech/machinist/blog/2007/06/08/iphone_problems/view/?show=all

2 comments:

Professor Val said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Professor Val said...

AHA!! That explains this:


Rick‘s Guitars

(if that doesn’t work, just cut and paste this: http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/8136/ricksguitarsww8.jpg)


EXO Rick has quite a guitar collection! As for ECO me, I don't necessarily collect things but I want new things and then I grow bored of them quickly. I am looking at the new XM radio I bought right now. I have a perfectly good XM radio now but this one is smaller, newer, and more advanced. I had to have it. I bought Rick one too!

I remember in 2005 when I ordered my Scion tC. I could not WAIT for it to come. I think I had a 3 or 4 month wait. The whole time I was so excited...drooling even. A month after the car arrived I was thinking how cool it would be to trade it in for the next model. I came to my senses though...although I'm encouraging Rick to get that xB we test drove.


-AirDesk ECO signing off...being stared at from across the room by 6 shiny guitars and a mandolin.