Monday, June 4, 2007

ECO Stillness




The emerging moment that exists when we link stimulus and response becomes meaningful or meaningless. While the other domains focus on the meaningful ones for a variety of reasons,ECO's tend to sort for the spaces between the notes, the breaks in the action, the pregnantpauses, the so-called awkward moments. It's there that irony, contrast and depth make their presence known, which then allows the next moment to mean more than if we had to carry the meaning of the previous forward without that discontinuity. When people tell you to literally, 'give them a break', they are craving that 'ECOspace' where life can swing away from humanity and return to nature, to the context it takes place in. It's in that emptying void that the empathic ECO tunes into the unseen, unspoken vibrations, which helps them build up a tremendous amount of emotional intelligence as they develop. It's what used to be known as 'paraconscious' awareness, a so-called peripheral inner vision, that cued the ECO to step back and let their body sense what their mind filters out. Everyone else stays with what's perceived.


You could call it a disbelief system or just chalk it up to a healthy bs meter, either way, the ECO knows that a vacation happens every time we relax, exhale and release our hold on the world. That melting process, which Thomas Hanna called accommodation, is oddly when we let the sensory input register in us as a gut reaction or visceral experience. ECO's seek that limbo in order to 'invite', or let life in, so they can merge with their surroundings more accurately. It's a very noisy process to give up our entrained tendency to control our environment, exert our will, let the world come to us, so most ECO's function in a realm of self-reflection where the mirror can be quite turbulent. So while the ECO may have invented the concept of chillaxing, which the
Urban Dictionary defines as a fusion, in equal parts, of chilling and relaxing. So the key to tuning into the ECO domain is not about the act of doing nothing so much as it's feeling the impulse to do less. As our friend Tony struggled with depression, panic attacks, and bouts of restlessness throughout the arc of the series, it was the delay between perception and action that plagued him most. That's when too much or too little meaning can make life rough. It's in finding that dynamic stillness between that builds coherence.


For Tony, that rhythmic and relentless message meant going deeper into the darkness than any light could follow him. ECO's are guided by pathos, which brings a mixed bag of emotions with it that most of us would sooner avoid experiencing, even if it meant we'd be closer to the truth.


Riff on This! and we'll talk about WED here...
Host Channel: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/nakedsoma
Dial In Number: (646) 478-4847
ShowTime: WED 8-9pm EDT



For a quick Soprano's tutorial, this clip covers seasons 1-6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz_Ees_-kE4

As we approach the final episode, this article turns the self-reflection to us: http://tinyurl.com/2mytuu

2 comments:

Professor Val said...

Wow, did that speak to me as an ECO...

Funny you mention vibrations-I feel vibrations constantly. I can never tell if the floor is vibrating or if it's something internal. Being an ECO is pretty freaky. It's also exhausting. I'm always picking up everyone's emotional state. It can become overwhelming. I used to have panic attacks at concerts and other large venues-I eventually realized that it was not me but what I was picking up in other people. I have since learned to block it pretty well.

I want to go to ECO Island and stay there... Any other ECOs wanna come?? I'll take my EXO though-he's pretty damn cool!

ADF In Search of a Deserted Island sans nasty and/or lying landlords...

ally said...

Parts of this certainly resonated with me...I guess this makes sense since I've been told that I'm an ECO ;-)

The concept that I most connected with, I think, was that of searching for the real meaning behind words and actions. I have a hard time going through any sort of conversation without searching for some sort of hidden meaning or motivation that might be driving what is said; it is ridiculously difficult for me to take anything at face value, and I tend to look for (and sometimes invent) reasons that the person is simply saying something in tolerance so that I'll go away and leave them alone.

I often swing between looking for too much meaning in a moment or assuming that there was no meaning at all, an oscillation that lands me somewhere in the more accurate middle long after I feel like I should arrived.

Taking this to an extreme could lead an especially insecure ECO to not trust that anyone is on the level, even those that profess to care about them. Some may not believe what their own amassed emotional intelligence might be saying.

Makes me wonder if ECOs are especially susceptible to low self esteem and how they can build it up...

I am sooooo with you on that island! Perhaps when I win the mega millions I'll buy one on ebay and we can set up shop. The Caribbean would be nice...